Double Black is Indian Assam black tea naturally sweetened by liquorice.
What is black tea?
After water, black tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world. Black tea is a drink made from the oxidised leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. First discovered in China, tea is now grown in several tropical regions across the world. Sweet Chai of Mine contains Indian Assam black tea.
What is Indian Assam tea?
Assam tea is tea grown in the Assam region of India. Bordered by Bangladesh and Bhutan, the region has a climate ideal for tea production: cool, dry winters, and a warm, humid rainy season. Widely considered to be of a very high quality, Assam tea is often used in popular ‘everyday’ tea blends as it has a rich, full-bodied taste.
What are the benefits of black tea?
Aside from being the perfect drink to be consumed in just about any situation you could think of, a simple cup of black tea can also have some amazing health benefits:
- Heart health – animal studies have shown that an antioxidant present in black tea called theaflavin can help reduce cholesterol, thereby supporting your heart health.
- Blood sugar – theaflavin also helps to lower blood sugar levels, good news for those at risk of diabetes.
- Gut health – black tea has antimicrobial properties that can help improve your gut health, thereby strengthening your immune system.
- Anti-cancer properties – the polyphenols contained in black tea are thought to reduce the risk of developing cancer as they can have an inhibiting effect on cancerous cells.
- Energy boosting – black tea also contains an amino acid called L-theanine. L-theanine has been proven to help focus as it facilitates alpha activity within the brain. It is one of the main reasons as to why it is often reported that tea gives a more stable boost of energy in comparison to coffee.
Are there any side effects of black tea?
Black tea naturally contains the stimulant caffeine. Excessive consumption (more than 4-5 cups per day) may result in symptoms including jitteriness, headache, difficulty in sleeping or an irregular heartbeat. If you think you may be sensitive to caffeine, or if you are pregnant, we recommend that you consult your healthcare professional about the quantity of black tea you should consume.
What is Liquorice
Liquorice is derived from the root of the Glycyrrhiza glabra plant. Caffeine free, liquorice has been used for centuries in traditional medicine as a natural cure for maladies including sore throat and constipation. Studies have shown that liquorice contains compounds possessing antibacterial and antiviral properties. There is no sugar in liquorice, yet it is undeniably sweet. In fact, liquorice is believed to have 50 times the amount of sweetness of sugar but without the calories.
Is it ok to drink liquorice tea every day?
Studies have shown that liquorice can increase blood pressure. If you suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure), we recommend that you avoid consumption of liquorice.
What does Double Black taste like?
No need to add sugar to this naturally sweet blend of rich, malty Indian Assam black tea and aromatic liquorice. Enjoy Double Black with or without milk.
Indian Assam Black Tea (85%), Liquorice (15%)
Contains Liquorice. People suffering from hypertension should avoid consumption.
Sugar free, gluten free, soya free, vegetarian, vegan, wheat free, dairy free.
Packed in an environment that contains nuts.
Can’t get enough of black tea? View our other black tea blends.
Are you a commercial customer and wish to order Double Black in bulk? Please visit our trade page for more information.