Earl Grey tea is a black tea, traditionally a Chinese variety such as Keemun, that is flavoured with bergamot. Thought to be named after Charles Grey, the 2nd Earl Grey, and British Prime Minister during the 1830s, Earl Grey tea is reputed to have been created to disguise the flavour of the water at the Earl’s home.
Classic Earl is Twist’s take on this all-time great brew, a combination of two premium black teas: high-grown Sri Lankan and smoky Chinese Keemun, flavoured with bergamot.
What is black tea?
After water, black tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world. Black tea is a drink made from the oxidised leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. First discovered in China, tea is now grown in several tropical regions across the world.
What is Ceylon tea?
Ceylon tea is tea cultivated on the island of Sri Lanka, formerly known as Ceylon. Offering a variety of flavour and colour due to the range of altitudes that it is grown on, Ceylon tea is known for its versatility. Ceylon tea is traditionally used in English breakfast tea blends as it has the strength desired to accompany a full English breakfast.
What is Keemun tea?
Keemun is a popular Chinese black tea. Renowned for its premium quality, Keemun tea is grown in the Qimen County, Anhui Provence, located near the Yangtze River. Keemun tea is produced with a slower stage of withering and oxidation than other black tea varieties. It has a light, slightly smoky flavour and is used in classic tea blends such as Earl Grey.
What are the benefits of black tea?Aside from being the perfect drink to be consumed in just about any situation you could think of, a simple cup of black tea can also have some amazing health benefits:
- Heart health – animal studies have shown that an antioxidant present in black tea called theaflavin can help reduce cholesterol, thereby supporting your heart health.
- Blood sugar – theaflavin also helps to lower blood sugar levels, good news for those at risk of diabetes.
- Gut health – black tea has antimicrobial properties that can help improve your gut health, thereby strengthening your immune system.
- Anti-cancer properties – the polyphenols contained in black tea are thought to reduce the risk of developing cancer as they can have an inhibiting effect on cancerous cells.
- Energy boosting – black tea also contains an amino acid called L-theanine. L-theanine has been proven to help focus as it facilitates alpha activity within the brain. It is one of the main reasons as to why it is often reported that tea gives a more stable boost of energy in comparison to coffee.
Are there any side effects of black tea?
Black tea naturally contains the stimulant caffeine. Excessive consumption (more than 4-5 cups per day) may result in symptoms including jitteriness, headache, difficulty in sleeping or an irregular heartbeat. If you think you may be sensitive to caffeine, or if you are pregnant, we recommend that you consult your healthcare professional about the quantity of black tea you should consume.
What does Classic Earl taste like?
Classic Earl is a refreshing, light, citrussy brew, the perfect accompaniment to afternoon or high tea. But don’t take our word for it! You can read the description of our Classic Earl tea, according to the judges at the Great Taste Awards.
Blends with Benefits
Every Twist Tea blend is created from the finest, ethically sourced whole-leaf ingredients. Our plastic free Classic Earl tea bags are hand blended in the UK and hand packed in plastic free packaging. What sets us apart from the competition are the functional herbs, botanicals and spices added to many of our blends reputed to offer health and wellbeing benefits.
Our Classic Earl blend is a Great Taste Award winning tea. View our other award-winning blends.
Infuse in boiling water for 3-5 minutes depending on desired strength. Serve with or without milk.
Black Tea (90%) (Sri Lankan Black Tea, Chinese Keemun Black Tea), Natural Bergamot Flavouring.
Sugar free, gluten free, soya free, vegetarian, wheat free, dairy free.
Packed in an environment that contains nuts.
If you love Classic Earl, you will also want to try Earl Great to see how Twist takes this elegant blend to the next level.
Are you a commercial customer and wish to order Classic Earl in bulk? Please visit our trade page for more information.