Part of our mint teas range, Mint Choc Chip is made from whole leaf Sri Lankan black tea and peppermint leaves blended with cocoa shells and nibs. This delicious blend is both aromatic and refreshing and does not contain the sugar usually present in chocolate bars.
Sri Lankan black tea is the main ingredient in Mint Choc Chip tea.
What is black tea?
After water, black tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world. Black tea is a drink made from the oxidised leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. First discovered in China, tea is now grown in several tropical regions across the world.
What is Sri Lankan black tea?
Sri Lankan black tea is tea cultivated on the island of Sri Lanka, formerly known as Ceylon. Offering a variety of flavour and colour due to the range of altitudes that it is grown on, Ceylon tea is known for its versatility. Ceylon tea is traditionally used in English breakfast tea blends as it has the strength desired to accompany a full English breakfast.
What are the benefits of black tea?
Aside from being the perfect drink to be consumed in just about any situation you could think of, a simple cup of black tea can also have some amazing health benefits:
- Heart health – animal studies have shown that an antioxidant present in black tea called theaflavin can help reduce cholesterol, thereby supporting your heart health.
- Blood sugar – theaflavin also helps to lower blood sugar levels, good news for those at risk of diabetes.
- Gut health – black tea has antimicrobial properties that can help improve your gut health, thereby strengthening your immune system.
- Anti-cancer properties – the polyphenols contained in black tea are thought to reduce the risk of developing cancer as they can have an inhibiting effect on cancerous cells.
- Energy boosting – black tea also contains an amino acid called L-theanine. L-theanine has been proven to help focus as it facilitates alpha activity within the brain. It is one of the main reasons as to why it is often reported that tea gives a more stable boost of energy in comparison to coffee.
Are there any side effects of black tea?
Black tea naturally contains the stimulant caffeine. Excessive consumption (more than 4-5 cups per day) may result in symptoms including jitteriness, headache, difficulty in sleeping or an irregular heartbeat. If you think you may be sensitive to caffeine, or if you are pregnant, we recommend that you consult your healthcare professional about the quantity of black tea you should consume.
What are the benefits of cocoa?
Cocoa is the dried and fermented seed of the cacao tree and is the main ingredient in chocolate. Cocoa is believed to promote cardiovascular health as the flavanols present have anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, the polyphenols present in cocoa are thought to promote cognitive function. Discover more about the health benefits of cocoa.
What are the benefits of peppermint tea?
Peppermint tea really packs a punch when it comes to health benefits.
- Caffeine-free – peppermint is naturally caffeine-free, meaning it can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
- Aids digestion – peppermint tea has long been believed to help relieve digestive complaints such as upset stomach, bloating and indigestion.
- Inflammation reduction – peppermint can act as a relaxant as the compound methanol allows for easier blood transportation as it increases blood flow.This can see reductions in aches, pains and may even help things such as headaches and migraines.
- Mouth health – peppermint freshens your breath and contains antibacterial properties to help fight off germs.
- Increased focus and energy – the natural properties in peppermint have been shown to help with perceived levels of energy and increased levels of focus.
- Allergy symptoms – peppermint contains acid rosmarinic, which has been shown to be a reliever of allergic reactions associated with things such as hay fever, asthma causers and pet allergies.
- Sinuses – peppermint contains methanol, an anti-inflammatory compound, which increases the level of nasal airflow, helping you to breath more freely.
For further information on the health benefits of peppermint visit our resident nutritionist’s blog post.
What does Mint Choc Chip taste like?
The peppermint flavour in Mint Choc Chip tea is subtle and the cocoa adds a smoothness to the blend. Mint Choc Chip can be enjoyed with or without milk, but we highly recommend it served with frothy milk as a latte.
Blends with Benefits
Every Twist Tea blend is created from the finest, ethically sourced whole-leaf ingredients. Our plastic free Mint Choc Chip tea bags are hand blended in the UK and hand packed in plastic free packaging. What sets us apart from the competition are the functional herbs, botanicals and spices added to many of our blends reputed to offer health and wellbeing benefits.
Our Mint Choc Chip blend is a Great Taste Award winning tea. View our other award-winning blends.
Infuse in boiling water for 3-5 minutes depending on desired strength. Serve with or without milk.
Sri Lankan black tea, Cocoa (39%) (Cocoa Nibs, Cocoa Shells), Peppermint (15%), Natural Flavouring.
No added sugar, gluten free, soya free, vegetarian, wheat free, dairy free.
Packed in an environment that contains nuts.
Can’t get enough of peppermint? View our other mint tea blends to see how Twist Tea takes peppermint to the next level.
Are you a commercial customer and wish to order Mint Choc Chip in bulk? Please visit our trade page for more information.